Sunday, January 29, 2012

Sunday Yums

Garden Fresh Tomato Soup and Cheese Toast

I made this soup from allrecipes.com tonight for dinner along with cheese toast. Tomato soup and cheese toast is a classic Sunday night meal in the Howell (my mother's side) family. It is such a comfort food/meal for me and is extremely nostalgic. But this was so much better than Campell's tomato water soup. And impossibly simple. I had all of these ingredients on hand and it took me very little time to actually whip up.

The recipe says to use a food mill, but I just used my new immersion blender (thanks, Mom Ford!) but if you don't have one of those, a regular old blender will work just fine too. Although...I highly recommend an immersion blender, especially if you like creamy soups. Go get one. Now. As for the rest of the recipe, I didn't feel like I needed to change/add anything at all. It was basically perfect just like it is.

As for the cheese toast...easier even than grilled cheese. Which is basically what it is, except open faced. Just grab some bread, spread some butter on each slice, add about three slices of whatever kind of cheese you have on hand (I used Colby Jack this particular eveing) on top of that, and then pop it in a 350* oven until the cheese is bubbly and the bread is crisping. Bam. Easy peasy lemon squeezey.

This may become a new go-to Sunday evening tradition for us. Mr. Ford nearly inhaled it, which was a relief to me since he told me after I'd already started making it that he'd never really had tomato soup before and didn't know if he liked it or not. Awesome. Fortunately he likes to try new food...one of the approximately 4,879,204 reasons I love him...and this recipe's a keeper.

Happy Sunday!


PS - You know how I'm always saying God is faithful? Well, it's cause it's true.

Almost immediately after I posted that last blog entry, Jesus sent me exactly the answer I was waiting for. And peace for my heavy heart accompanied it. Honestly. My Jesus never fails to show me His grace and mercy and love just when I need it. He is so good. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment